Wednesday, February 13, 2008

DMur On "Black Men Missing":

As a 21 year old young black man I leave this response which is also a excerpt from my upcoming motivational book for young black men "My Brothers Keeper: Messages of Hope for Young Black Men"...I had to leave this b/c I am sick and tired of the exaggerations of the shortcomings of black youth without also shedding light to the advancements which have been made.

Today I googled the term young black men and the first item to come up had the headline “Grim Forecast For Young Black Men”, the third had the headline
“Why Young Black Men Are Endangered”, and the fifth headline touched on “life getting worse” for young black men. Towards the end of the page was a link that had the headline “empowering young black males”. The results in that google search engine are very similar to the approach many are taking today to the problems facing young black men.

I can’t tell you how many times growing up I was reminded how grim our forecast was or how we were endangered. But when looking back its not necessarily those speeches that motivated me to reach higher for success. Most of the time when I heard those speeches I felt like I was being told something I already knew. However, what did and still today does inspire me are the words, examples, and stories of other young black men who have managed to overcome the odds.

How many times have we heard someone make the statement it’s a shame to see more young black men in prision then in college. That’s actually a false statement. According to 2005 Census Bureau statistics 10 percent of the male African-American population of the United States aged between 18 and 24 numbered 1,896,000. According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, 106,000 African-Americans in this age group were in federal or state prisons at the end of 2005. If you add the numbers in local jail (measured in mid-2006), you arrive at a grand total of 193,000 incarcerated young Black males, or slightly over 10 percent.
According to the same census data, 530,000 of these African-American males, or twenty eight percent, were enrolled in colleges or universities (including two-year-colleges) in 2005. That is five times the number of young black men in federal and state prisons and two and a half times the total number incarcerated.

D.Mur

1 comment:

cheech said...

Thanks for your comments I love what you had to say.

Cheech..

Latest Fashion Trends

E- Mail Stories, Issues, and Events ..To..

African American Cinema(Purchase Now!)

Loading...

Pageviews past week